Willingale One Name Study
 Willingale Family Tree



Matches 1 to 28 of 28     » Thumbnails Only    » Slide Show


   Thumb   Description   Linked to 
BUSSORAH MERCHANT 530t/659t, 3 mast ship rig, B.1818 Howrah, 117'x31'11"x5'9" tween decks, Duncan Dunbar, London. (Engaged as a convict transport 1828-1831). 
History of SS Berengaria
History of SS Berengaria
06-20-1913 maiden voyage from Cuxhaven to New York - 08-1914 in Hamburg harbor for the duration of the war - 05-05-1919 seized by US navy as troup transporter - 02-1920 handed over to Shipping Controller, London - 02-1921 sold to Cunard Line and renamed "Berengaria" - 1934 Cunard and White Star Line merge - 03-03-1938 the ship catches fire in New York harbor - 11-07-1938 sold for scrapping.

Between 1920 and the entry into service of the Queen Mary in 1936, the Berengaria was the pride of the Cunard fleet. The ship , however, was originally built for the Hamburg-America line. It was built at the Vulcan Werft shipyard at Hamburg on the river Elbe. It was originally called the Imperator and was launched on 23 May 1912. As it was launched only 5 weeks after the Titanic disaster changes had been made both in hull design and the equipment on board in order to increase safety. At the time the Imperator was the world's largest ship. 
HMS Aboukir
HMS Aboukir
HMS Aboukir was a Cressy-class armoured cruiser of 12,000 tons. Her triple expansion engines and twin screws gave her a top speed of 21 knots (39 km/h). She carried 2 × 9.2in and 12 × 6in guns. She was built by Fairfield Shipbuilding & Engineering Co Ltd, Govan, Scotland, in 1902.

The Cressy-class vessels had rapidly become obsolete due to the great advances in naval architecture in the years leading up to the First World War. At the outbreak of the war, these ships were mostly staffed by reserve sailors. The Aboukir was one of four units that made up Rear Admiral Henry H Campbell's Seventh Cruiser Squadron. Shortly after the outbreak of the First World War in August 1914, Aboukir and her sister ships Bacchante, Euryalus, Hogue and Cressy were assigned to patrol the Broad Fourteens of the North Sea, in support of a force of destroyers and submarines based at Harwich which blocked the Eastern end of the English Channel from German warships attempting to attack the supply route between England and France.

At around 6 am on 22 September the three cruisers were steaming at 10 knots (19 km/h) in line ahead and they were spotted by the U-9, commanded by Lt. Otto Weddigen. Although they were not zigzagging, all of the ships had lookouts posted to search for periscopes and one gun on each side of each ship was manned.

Weddigen ordered his submarine to submerge and closed the range to the unsuspecting British ships. At close range, he fired a single torpedo at the Aboukir. The torpedo broke the back of the Aboukir and she sank within 20 minutes with the loss of 527 men.

The captains of the Cressy and Hogue thought the Aboukir had struck a floating mine and came forward to assist her. They stood by and began to pick up survivors. At this point, Weddigen fired two torpedoes into the Hogue, mortally wounding that ship. As the Hogue sank, the captain of the Cressy realised that the squadron was being attacked by a submarine, and tried to flee. However, Weddigen fired two more torpedoes into the Cressy, and sank her as well.

The entire battle had lasted less than two hours, and cost the British three warships, 62 officers and 1,397 ratings. This incident established the U-boat as a major weapon in the conduct of naval warfare.

Class and type: Cressy-class armoured cruiser
Name: HMS Aboukir
Builder: Fairfield Shipbuilding & Engineering Co Ltd, Govan
Launched: 16 May 1900
Fate: Sunk by U-9 on 22 September 1914

Displacement: 12,000 tons
Length: 472 ft (144 m)
Beam: 69.5 ft (21.2 m)
Propulsion: triple expansion engines
twin screws
Speed: 21 knots (39 km/h)
Armament: 2 × BL 9.2-inch (233.7 mm) Mk X guns
12 × BL 6-inch (152.4 mm) Mk VII guns  
At least one living or private individual is linked to this item - Details withheld.
At least one living or private individual is linked to this item - Details withheld.
At least one living or private individual is linked to this item - Details withheld.
HMS Cambridge
HMS Cambridge
HMS Windsor Castle was a triple-decker, 102-gun first-rate Royal Navy ship of the line. She was renamed HMS Cambridge in 1869, when she replaced a ship of the same name as gunnery ship off Plymouth.

Builder: Pembroke Dockyard
Laid down: May 1844
Launched: 26 August 1858
Renamed: Built as HMS Victoria
Renamed HMS Windsor Castle on 6 January 1855
Renamed HMS Cambridge in 1869
Fate: Sold for breaking up on 24 June 1908
HMS Colossus
HMS Colossus
The second HMS Colossus was a Colossus class second-class British battleship, launched in 1882 and commissioned in 1886. She had a displacement of 9,520 tons, and an armament of 4 x 12-inch breechloaders, 5 x 6-inch guns and had a respectable speed of 15.5 knots. She served in the Mediterranean Fleet, from her commission in 1886 to 1893 when she then became a Coastguard ship. In 1895 she was part of the 1st Reserve Squadron. In 1901 she was placed in Reserve, before becoming a tender to Excellent in 1904. Colossus was put up for sale in 1906, finally being broken up in 1908. Her sister-ship Edinburgh was broken up in 1910. 
HMS Duncan
HMS Duncan
HMS Duncan was laid down by Thames Ironworks and Shipbuilding Company, Blackwall, on 10 July 1899, launched on 21 March 1901, and completed in October 1903.

Duncan and her five sister battleships of the Duncan-class were ordered in response to large French and Russian building programs, including an emphasis on fast battleships in the Russian program; they were designed as smaller, more lightly armored, and faster versions of the preceding Formidable class. As it turned out, the Russian ships were not as heavily armed as initially feared, and the Duncans proved to be quite superior in their balance of speed, firepower, and protection.

Armor layout was similar to that of London, with reduced thickness in the barbettes and belt.

Duncan and her sisters had machinery of 3,000 more indicated horsepower than the Formidables and Londons and were the first British battleships with 4-cylinder triple-expansion engines. They also had a modified hull form to improve speed. The ships had a reputation as good steamers, with a designed speed of 19 knots (35 km/h) and an operational speed of 18 knots (33 km/h), good steering at all speeds, and an easy roll. They were the fastest battleships in the Royal Navy when completed, and the fastest predreadnoughts ever built other than the Swiftsure-class HMS Swiftsure and HMS Triumph.

They had the same armament as and a smaller displacement than the Formidables and Londons.

Like all predreadnoughts, Duncan was outclassed by the dreadnought battleships that began to appear in 1906, but she nonetheless continued to perform front-line duties up through the early part of World War I.

Laid down: 10 July 1899
Launched: 21 March 1901
Completed: October 1903
Commissioned: 8 October 1903
Decommissioned: March 1919
Nickname: The Duncan-class battleships were informally known as "The Admirals"
Fate: Sold for scrapping 18 February 1920

At least one living or private individual is linked to this item - Details withheld.
At least one living or private individual is linked to this item - Details withheld.
At least one living or private individual is linked to this item - Details withheld.
HMS Pompee
HMS Pompee
Pompée was a Téméraire-class 74-gun ship of the line of the French Navy.

During the Siege of Toulon, Captain Poulain, her commanding officer, joined the British. She fled Toulon when the city fell to the French Republicans and sailed to Britain.

She was commissioned in the Royal Navy as HMS Pompee. Under Captain Charles Stirling, she fought at the Battle of Algeciras Bay. In 1807 the ship, under the command of Captain Richard Dacres served in the Mediterranean squadron under Rear-Admiral Sir Sydney Smith,[1] as part of the Vice-Admiral Duckworth's Dardanelles Operation and later the Alexandria expedition of 1807.

In late 1808 the Pompée was in the Caribbean, and took part in the attack on Martinique in January 1809

She later captured her sister-ship Hautpoul and the brig Pylade on 5 November 1813.

She was eventually used as a prison hulk in Portsmouth.

The acquisition of Pompée allowed the British to design a copy of the Téméraire class, the Pompée class. 

HMS Victory
HMS Victory
HMS Victory is a first rate ship of the line of the Royal Navy, started in 1759 and launched in 1765, most famous as Lord Nelson's flagship at the Battle of Trafalgar. She is the oldest naval ship still in commission, and now sits in dry dock in Portsmouth, England as a museum ship.

The keel was laid on 23 July 1759 in the Old Single Dock (since renamed No. 2 Dock and now Victory Dock), and the name was finally chosen in October 1760. It was to commemorate the Annus Mirabilis or Year of Victories, of 1759. In that year of the Seven Years' War, land victories had been won at Quebec, Minden and naval battles had been won at Lagos and Quiberon Bay. There were some doubts whether this was a suitable name since the previous first-rate Victory had been lost with all on board in 1744.

Once the frame had been constructed, it was normal to cover the ship up and leave it for several months to season. However, the end of the Seven Years' War meant that she remained in this condition for nearly three years, which helped her subsequent longevity. Work restarted in autumn 1763 and she was finally launched on 7 May 1765, having cost £63,176 and 3 shillings (present day £6,819,455.39) and used around 6000 trees, 90% of which were oak and the remainder elm, pine and fir.

Because there was no immediate use for her, she was placed in ordinary—in reserve, roofed over, dismasted and placed under general maintenance—moored in the River Medway for 13 years until France joined the American War of Independence.

In March 1778, John Lindsay was appointed her first captain, but he was transferred to captain HMS Prince George in May 1778 when Admiral the Honorable Augustus Keppel decided to raise his flag in Victory. She was commissioned in May 1778 under the command of Rear Admiral John Campbell (1st Captain) and Captain Jonathan Faulknor (2nd Captain), with the flag of Admiral Keppel. She was armed with smooth bore, cast iron cannon - thirty 32- and 42-pounders (15 and 19 kg), thirty 24-pounders (11 kg), and forty 12-pounders (5 kg). Later, she also carried two carronade guns, firing 68-lb (31 kg) round shot.

In February 1798 Victory was stationed at Chatham under the command of Lieutenant J. Rickman. On 8 December, unfit for service as a warship, she was ordered to be converted to a hospital ship to hold wounded French and Spanish prisoners of war. In 1799, Rickman was relieved by Lieutenant J. Busbridge.

However, on 8 October 1799 HMS Impregnable was lost off Chichester, having run aground on her way back to Portsmouth after escorting a convoy to Lisbon. She could not be refloated and so was stripped and dismantled. Now short of a first rate, the Admiralty decided to recondition Victory. Work started in 1800 but as it proceeded an increasing number of defects were found and the repairs developed into a very extensive reconstruction. The original estimate was £23,500 but the final cost was £70,933.

Extra gun ports were added, taking her from 100 guns to 104, and her magazine lined with copper. Her figurehead was replaced along with her masts and the paint scheme changed from red to the black and yellow seen today. Her gun ports were originally yellow to match the hull but later repainted black, giving a pattern later called the "Nelson chequer", which was adopted by all Royal Navy ships after the Battle of Trafalgar. The work was completed on 11 April 1803 and the ship left for Portsmouth on 14 May under her new captain, Samuel Sutton.

Vice-Admiral Nelson hoisted his flag in Victory on 16 May 1803 with Samuel Sutton as his flag captain and sailed to assume command in the Mediterranean on 20 May. Nelson transferred to the faster frigate Amphion on 23 May.

On 28 May Captain Sutton captured the French Embuscade of 32 guns, bound for Rochefort from San Domingo. Victory rejoined Lord Nelson off Toulon on 30 May when Captain Sutton exchanged commands with the captain of Amphion, Thomas Masterman Hardy.

Victory was passing the island of Toro on 4 April 1805, when HMS Phoebe brought the news that the French fleet under Pierre-Charles Villeneuve had escaped from Toulon. While Nelson made for Sicily to see if the French were heading for Egypt, Villeneuve was entering Cádiz to link up with the Spanish fleet. On 7 May Nelson reached Gibraltar and received his first definite news. The British fleet completed their stores in Lagos Bay, Portugal on 10 May, and two days later sailed westward with ten ships and three frigates in pursuit of the combined Franco-Spanish fleet of 17 ships. They arrived in the West Indies to find that the enemy was sailing back to Europe where Napoleon Bonaparte was waiting for them with his invasion forces at Boulogne.

The Franco-Spanish fleet was involved in the indecisive Battle of Cape Finisterre in fog off Ferrol with Admiral Sir Robert Calder's squadron on 22 July before taking refuge in Vigo and Ferrol to land wounded and abandon three damaged ships. Calder on 14 August and Nelson on 15 August joined Admiral Cornwallis's Channel Fleet off Ushant. Nelson continued to England in Victory leaving his Mediterranean fleet with Cornwallis who detached twenty of his thirty-three ships of the line and sent them under Calder to find the combined fleet at Ferrol. On 19 August came the worrying news that the enemy had sailed from there, followed by relief when they arrived in Cádiz two days later. On the evening of Saturday, 28 September, Lord Nelson joined Lord Collingwood's fleet off Cádiz, quietly, so that his presence would not be known.
Nelson's famous signal, "England expects that every man will do his duty", flying from Victory on the bicentenary of the Battle of Trafalgar.

When Admiral Villeneuve learned that he was to be removed from command he took his ships to sea on the morning of 19 October, first sailing south towards the Mediterranean but then turning north towards the British fleet, beginning the Battle of Trafalgar. Nelson had already made his plans: to break the enemy line some two or three ships ahead of their Commander in Chief in the centre and achieve victory before the van could come to their aid. In the event fitful winds made it a slow business. For five hours after Nelson's last manoeuvring signal the two columns of British ships slowly approached the French line before Royal Sovereign, leading the lee column, was able to open fire on Fougueux. Twenty five minutes later Victory broke the line between Bucentaure and Redoutable firing a treble shotted broadside into the stern of the former from a range of a few yards. At 25 minutes past one Nelson was shot, the fatal musket ball entering his left shoulder and lodging in his spine. He died at half past four. Such killing had taken place on Victory's quarter deck that Redoutable attempted to board her, but they were thwarted by the arrival of Eliab Harvey in the 98-gun HMS Temeraire, whose broadside devastated the French ship.[2] Nelson's last order was for the fleet to anchor, but this was countermanded by Vice Admiral Collingwood. Victory lost 57 killed and 102 wounded.

ictory took Nelson's body to England where, after lying in state at Greenwich, he was buried in St. Paul's Cathedral on 6 January 1806.

Victory bore many Admirals' flags after Trafalgar, and sailed on numerous expeditions, including two Baltic campaigns under Admiral Sir James Saumarez. Finally her active career ended on 7 November 1812, when she was moored in Portsmouth Harbour off Gosport and used as a depot ship.

It is said that when Thomas Hardy was First Sea Lord he told his wife, on returning home, that he had just signed an order for Victory to be broken up. She burst into tears and sent him straight back to his office to rescind the order. Though this story may be apocryphal, the page of the duty log containing the orders for that day has been torn out.

In 1889, Victory was fitted up as a Naval School of Telegraphy. She soon became a proper Signal School, and signal ratings from ships paying off were sent to Victory, instead of the barracks, for a two-month training course. The School remained on Victory until 1904, when training was transferred temporarily to HMS Hercules, and in 1906 the whole School was moved to a permanent establishment at the Chatham Royal Naval Barracks.

As the years passed by Victory slowly deteriorated at her moorings. By 1921 she was in very poor condition, and a campaign to save her was started with the Save the Victory Fund under the aegis of the Society for Nautical Research. The outcome of the campaign was that the British Government agreed to restore and preserve her to commemorate Nelson, the Battle of Trafalgar and the Royal Navy's supremacy before, during, and after the Napoleonic period.

On 12 January 1922 she was moved into No. 2 dock at Portsmouth, the oldest drydock in the world, for restoration. In 1928 King George V was able to unveil a tablet celebrating the completion of the work, although restoration and maintenance still continued under the supervision of the Society for Nautical Research. In 1941, Victory sustained some damage from a bomb dropped by the Luftwaffe into her dry dock, causing damage to the hull. On one occasion German radio propaganda claimed that the ship had been destroyed by a bomb, and the Admiralty had to issue a denial.

Listed as part of the National Historic Fleet, Core Collection, in the early 21st century the ship underwent another very extensive restoration for the bicentenary of the battle in October 2005 to bring her appearance as close as possible to that which she had at Trafalgar. Replicas of items including mess bowls, beakers and tankards in the 'Marines' Mess', and a toothbrush, shaving brush and wash bowl in 'Hardy's Cabin' are on display. 

La Hogue
La Hogue
"LA HOGUE" was well known and a large, majestic, three masted, fully rigged "ship". Built in 1855 by LAING of Sunderland, N.E. England, she was a "frigate" style ship which means that she had a white band painted down each side into which were painted imitation, black gun ports. This style was said to frighten off pirates in the China Seas.

Her length was 226 feet, beam 35 feet and draught 23 feet. She was 1331 Tons and was said to have a long (96ft) poop deck and (42ft) fo'c's'le. She had a very large figurehead and was known for the large, single, topsail on the mizzen mast. As a very popular passenger ship in the early days, it was claimed that people would delay their sailing for a month or two to be able to travel on her. 
Light Brigade
Light Brigade
At least one living or private individual is linked to this item - Details withheld.
At least one living or private individual is linked to this item - Details withheld.
RMS Dunluce Castle
RMS Dunluce Castle
Built 1904
1939 sold for scrapping but purchased by the Admiralty for use as accommodation ship. 
At least one living or private individual is linked to this item - Details withheld.
SS Arlanza
SS Arlanza
Built: 1912 by Harland & Wolff, Belfast.
Tonnage: 15, 044g, 9, 122n.
Engines: Triple Screw, Triple Expansion Wings Exhausting into Centre L.P. Turbine. 17 Knots.
Passengers: 400 First Class, 230 Second Class, 760 Third Class.
Launched on 23rd November 1911, completed September 1912.
The Arlanza was built for the UK- River Plate service, she had nine watertight compartments, five holds and refrigerated space for the carriage of meat. She was captured by the German raider Kaiser Wilhelm Der Grosse on the 16th August 1914 off the coasts of Brazil but when it was discovered that she was carrying bona fide passengers of which about 420 were women and children the Arlanza was allowed to proceed.

In April of 1915 she was converted for use as an armed Merchant Cruiser and joined the 10th Cruiser Squadron. She suffered mine damage whilst on patrol in the White Sea on the 22nd of October but was able to reach port safely under her own steam. She was released from her war duties in April of 1920 and after refurbishment made her first commercial trip to the River Plate at the end of July. She was converted from coal burning to oil in 1929 and remained in service until August of 1938 when she made her last trip back to Southampton. She was scrapped by Hughes, Bolckton & Co, Blyth in the same year.

Linked to unidentified Willingale: http://www.willingale.org/tng/showmedia.php?mediaID=319 
Athenia was built by the Fairfield Shipbuilding and Engineering Company, Ltd., and was launched at Govan, Scotland in 1923. She was built for Anchor-Donaldson Ltd.'s route between Britain and Canada. For most of her career she sailed between either Glasgow or Liverpool, and Quebec and Montreal. During the height of winter, she operated as a cruise ship. After 1935, her owners became the Donaldson Atlantic Line Ltd.

Athenia displaced 13,465 tons, was 526.3 feet long and had a 66.4 foot beam (160.4m x 20.2m). She had two masts and a single funnel. She carried 516 cabin class passengers and an additional 1,000 in 3rd class. She was a twin screw vessel powered by steam turbines, with a top speed of 15 knots.

On 3 September 1939, just hours after Britain declared war on Germany, U-boat U-30 (Oberleutnant Fritz-Julius Lemp) sank Athenia, mistaking her for an armed merchant cruiser. The 13,500 ton passenger liner was carrying 1,103 civilians, including more than 300 Americans, and 315 crew, from Glasgow to Montreal. The ship, under Captain James Cook, had departed there on 1 September, and after calling at Liverpool and Belfast departed Britain on the 3rd. By evening that day she was 60 miles south of Rockall (250 miles northwest of Inishtrahull, Ireland), when U-30 sighted her and fired two torpedoes into Athenia's hull without warning. She began to settle by the stern. As Athenia was an unarmed passenger ship, the attack was in violation of the prize rules U-boats were to be operating under, that obliged them to stop and search potential civilian targets and allow passengers and crew to abandon ship before sinking their vessel. 
built by Caird & Company Greenock,
Yard No 322
Engines by ShipbuildersPort of Registry: Greenock
Propulsion: Two four cylinder quadruple expansion steam engines, 9000ihp, twin screws, 14 knots
Launched: Sunday, 27/10/1912
Built: 1913
Ship Type: Passenger Liner
Ship's Role: UK/Australia emigrant service via the Cape of Good Hope (Branch Line)
Tonnage: 11118 gross; 7026 net; 13711 dwt
Length: 500ft 2in
Breadth: 62ft 3in
Draught: 31ft 8in
Owner History:
Peninsular & Oriental Steam Navigation Company
Status: Arrived for Scrapping - 28/10/1930

27/10/1912: Launched.
07/02/1913: Delivered. She cost £192,186.
03/1913: Maiden voyage.
09/1914: Australian Expeditionary Force transport.
01/1915: Returned to P&O for skeleton commercial service.
19/07/1915: Caught fire in no. 2 hold when three days out of Capetown bound for Sydney with 800 emigrants on board; the New Zealand Shipping Company’s OTAKI stood by, but BENALLA reached Durban under her own power and the fire was extinguished, with some difficulty, by the local fire brigade.
03/12/1915: In the Mediterranean carrying 2,500 troops when she intervened in a duel between the British India steamer TORILLA and a German submarine, driving the U.boat off with her 4.7 inch gun and standing by the smaller ship until naval forces arrived.
1917: Taken over under the Liner Requisition scheme for the Shipping Controller’s transatlantic munitions and supplies service.
13/05/1921: Struck amidships by the tanker PATELLA in thick fog 7 miles off Eastbourne and beached in Pevensey Bay. Her passengers were disembarked the following day by the tender LADY BRASSEY and landed at Dover, while BENALLA was pumped out and patched and then drydocked for repairs at Royal AlbertDock in London before she resumed trading.
01/1927: Stranded in the Tees, having to be refloated by tugs; this year she also took out the first consignment of steel for Sydney Harbour Bridge, which was probably why she visited the northeast of England at all.
03/09/1930: Sold to Gentaro Kasegawa, Japan for demolition.
28/10/1930: Delivered at Kobe. She was the last of her class to remain in service.  
SS Canada
SS Canada
Built by Harland & Wolff, Belfast, she was launched in 1896 and took her maiden voyage, Liverpool-Québec-Montréal, on 1 October 1896. During the Boer War (1899-1902) she served as a troop transport, but otherwise she served Canada during the summers and Boston in winter. In August 1914, while in Canada, she was taken over and used to transport troops to England. Upon her arrival there, she was used as an accommodation ship for German prisoners for the rest of the year. From 1915 until the end of World War I, she was used as a transport ship.

Her first voyage after the war was from Liverpool to Portland, Maine, in November 1918. Although she was transferred to Leyland Line ownership in 1921, she retained her name and continued to carry Dominion's livery. She remained in service until August 1926, when she made her final voyage on the same route as her maiden voyage. She was scrapped in Italy. 
built by Alexander Stephen & Sons Glasgow,
Yard No 402
Last Name: ORUBA(1921)
Propulsion: Steam, twin screw, triple expansion, 6,600 ihp - speed 15 knots
Launched: Wednesday, 18/11/1903
Built: 1903
Ship Type: Passenger Cargo Vessel
Tonnage: 6795 grt (later 7848)
Length: 490 feet (later 540)
Breadth: 55 feet
Owner History:
1903-21 G Thompson & Co Ltd, Aberdeen
1921-24 Royal Mail Steam Packet Co, Aberdeen
1924 Schweitzer & Oppler, Berlin
Status: Scrapped - 1925

Remarks: Lengthened by 50ft in 1912 and given a second, dummy, funnel, sold to Pacific Steam Nav Co in 1922. Scrapped at Hamburg 
At least one living or private individual is linked to this item - Details withheld.
SS Pretoria Castle
SS Pretoria Castle
PRETORIA CASTLE was built in 1948 by Harland & Wolff in Belfast with a tonnage of 28705grt, a length of 747ft 4in, a beam of 84ft and a service speed of 22.5 knots. Costing GBP2,500,000 she was launched by Mrs Jan Smuts by telephone on 19th August 1947 as a replacement for the lost Windsor Castle. With her sister the Edinburgh Castle she was an enlarged version of the Capetown Castle, the company's largest ships to date and propelled by steam. On 15th June 1953 she hosted Government guests at the Spithead Coronation Review and took part in the procession through the lines formed by 260 ships which was headed by Trinity House's Patricia, the then Royal Yacht HMS Surprise, followed by Orient Lines Orcades, Pretoria Castle, P&O's Strathnaver and British Rail ships carrying Admiralty staff. In 1962 she was refitted when the outward appearance was changed by altering the positions of the mast. She was sold on 1st January 1966 to the South African Marine Corporation (UK) Ltd and entered service with them on 2nd February as the S.A. Oranje with a new Safmarine livery but on the same route and with Union-Castle crews and management. Her registry was transferred to Cape Town on 17th March 1969. After 187 sailings and carrying over 250,000 passengers she arrived arrived at Kaohsuing on 2nd November 1975 to be broken up by Chin Tai Steel Enterprises. 
SS Victorian
SS Victorian
The Victorian was a 10,635 gross ton ship built in 1904 by Workman, Clark and Co, Ltd. for the Allan Line of Liverpool. Her details were - length overall 540 ft, beam 60.4ft, one funnel, two masts, triple screw (first N.Atlantic liner with triple screws and first with turbine engines) and a speed of 18 knots. There was accommodation for 346-1st, 344-2nd and 1,000-3rd class passengers. Launched on August 25, 1904, she sailed from Liverpool on her maiden voyage to St John NB on March 23,1905. On April 27, 1905 she commenced her first Liverpool - Quebec - Montreal voyage and continued UK - Canada sailings until 1914 when she was converted to an armed merchant cruiser. She served with the 9th and later the 10th Cruiser Squadrons and after the war, was refitted by Cammel Laird and returned to Canadian Pacific Ocean Services who had taken over the Allan Line. She resumed the Liverpool - Quebec - Montreal service on April 23, 1920, was refitted to carry 418-cabin, and 566-3rd class passengers in October 1920 and commenced her last Liverpool - Quebec - Montreal voyage on September 2,1921. In October 1921 she was chartered to the British government and carried out a trooping voyage from Southampton to Bombay and on her return was re-engined to oil fuel. On August 3, 1922 she transferred to the Glasgow - Quebec - Montreal route and on December 11, 1922 was renamed Marloch. She commenced her first Glasgow - St John NB voyage on December 12, 1922 and on Feb 2, 1926 transferred to the Antwerp - St John NB service. She collided with, and sank the British steamer Whimbrel off Flushing on February 2, 1926 and was towed to Southampton. Repaired, she returned to the Antwerp - Southampton - St John NB service on March 4, 1926 and sailed on her final Antwerp - Quebec - Montreal crossing on August 17, 1928. She was laid up at Southend until 1929 when she was sold to T.W.Ward and Co and arrived at Milford Haven on April 17th, being subsequently broken up at Pembroke Dock. Her panelling, which was inlaid with mother-of-pearl was transferred to the board room of Ward's Sheffield office, where it can still be seen